Friday, May 6, 2011

dinner....and some music?

Went to dinner with the other last night. He was hungry for Italian so I took him to a little place I'd been to once that was kind of tucked away and quaint - really good authentic stuff. The night started out very nicely with a little with wine and some dessert.......and then we went to dinner.

We walked into the restaurant which had changed drastically since I'd been there. They had split the place into two different restaurants, but connected in the back. One side was an Irish pub and the other Italian. We were curious so we went over to the Irish side and walked right into my former flame. It was awkward. the other still couldn't decide if he wanted Irish or Italian at this point so I quickly ushered him over to the Italian side - the non-former-flame side.

So at this point I should have suggested we leave and find somewhere else to eat. But noooo, we stayed. And they had the most bizarre dinner music ever. A guy at the front of the place was playing music and singing along. Kind of like karaoke - only it was all sappy show tunes. At one point he stopped and said "Well if that didn't sound like Robert Goulet, I don't know what does." I'm telling you the truth. Well, all it took was for the other to crack the slightest smile and that was it. I laughed - not out loud, I covered pretty well. But I laughed.

And then the somewhat flamboyant waiter started commenting on how he loved that song and how he loved the way the guy was singing. I'm still telling you the truth.

By the end of dinner we were so ready to bolt, but the singing guy asked if we wanted to request something - I'm serious. So, I humored him and suggested something from the Phantom of the Opera. There we sat, waiting, trying not to laugh, or slit our throats.

No comments:

Post a Comment